Saturday, April 27, 2013

X is for Mrs. Maxim de Winter

The reader never finds out the name or age of the protagonist in Daphne du Maurier's REBECCA, which is why I chose her for the letter X. Most fans think of her as eighteen or so, so I'm rolling with it for my YA girl characters. I love this book because of the mixed reactions readers get toward our nameless narrator, her secretive husband Maxim, and the long dead but ever present in our narrator's mind Rebecca--Max's first wife. Even their home, Manderley, is a complex character itself. It is romantic suspense at its finest and a book I never get tired of discussing.


"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again."

Do you like the second Mrs. de Winter? Tell me some of your favorite X characters.


5 comments:

Carrie Butler said...

Clever use of X, Ilima! :)

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Nice X character.

jaybird said...

Mine is a given. X-men. Wolverine. The End.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I picked X-Men as well.

Donna K. Weaver said...

This is great. I thought she was 21, since in that day and time you had to be at least 21 to marry without parental permission.