Thursday, November 21, 2013

And...done

Well, I did it. I hit my 50K. *cheers*


NaNoWriMo was a little different for me this year as my word total came from more than one book. I was already halfway through drafting a novel (a sequel) when November started so I decided to finish drafting that one first, then started another. NaNo was just the kick in the pants I needed to finish the sequel, which has been kind of a pain for me. 

I originally wrote 20K of it and knew the story wasn't working, so I trashed it and started over. For OCD controlling outliner me, it was hard but had to be done. And I'm so glad I did. Yesterday, I skimmed through that book and laughed and cried and realized it doesn't suck as much as I usually think my first drafts suck, so I'm very excited to start revising it.

Some other firsts this year:
* I finished my longest book yet, sitting just under 80K.
* I broke my personal record and wrote over 9K in one day.
* I managed to write all month w/out the help of diet coke.

So maybe that last one is weird, but I'm proud of it because I've been trying to quit, and my body is thanking me for not staying up until 2 in the morning to get my word count in as I have in the past. :)

How are you with your NaNo goals? Don't give up! There's still a lot of time left. Need some more motivation? Here's a link to a guest post I wrote last year on all things NaNoWriMo.

What am I going to do to celebrate? Date night this weekend at the movie theater! Anyone else Catching any Fire this week? I'll be back the first of December. Have a Happy Thanksgiving all!

16 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations on beating NaNo!
Nine thousand in one day is amazing. I think I hit twenty-five hundred once.
Now, go celebrate!!

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Have a great date night. *Wink* *Wink* I'm going to see Catching Fire this month as well and my birthday is next Friday so i guess great things do come in November. Congrats on getting Nano done and over 9,000 words in one day is amazing. Most for me is about 2,000. Catching Fire is going to explode the box office. And with Frozen also coming this month. I will be knee deep is movie heaven. See you in December and Happy Thanksgiving.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Well done, Ilima! On all counts! :)

I'm on track with my word count but I seem to have hit a wall of sorts with the story. Sigh. Well, still have a week left….

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Well done!!

David P. King said...

Woohoo! Way to go, Ilima! That's got to be the best feeling in the world. Now take a load off for the rest of the week. You deserve it.

Almost done with this zombie story. You know, the one that you're guest starring in. :)

Rebecca Barrow said...

Congrats on finishing NaNo, but more importantly, giving up the Diet Coke! I'm trying to wean myself off Coke Zero and it's soooo hard. Major props to you for that, seriously!

Leandra Wallace said...

I'm going to see CF on Tues! Can't wait! As much as I love my kidlet, it's so nice to get some 'mommy time'! And congrats on all the words- woot!

Tammy Theriault said...

Great way to celebrate and please do it with a cherry diet dr pepper. Much better!!! Your doing so much in so little time that it is AMAZING!! Be proud beautiful mama.

Elana Johnson said...

Holy cow! Already? Color me impressed! Go you!!

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

Well done, Ilima! That's awesome. And no diet coke, a definite bonus. :)
Enjoy the movie!

Mark Koopmans said...

That is *seriously* impressive, so congrats and well done, you :)

Now, step away from the pen and relaxzzzzzz :)

Happy Thanksgiving, too :)

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Congrats, Ilima!!! This is exciting! I've had my own fantastic goals I've started accomplishing this month, and I love the feeling of watching things work out as you put in the work! Hope you enjoy your lovely weekend. :)

Emily R. King said...

Huge congrats, Ilima! You are amazing to take on two projects! I gave up Diet Coke too, and I'm telling ya, my body doesn't even miss it. Who needs caffeine to be productive, eh?

Enjoy the movie. And happy thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful achievement, inspires me to keep going!

Suzi said...

Congratulations! I will have to enjoy my friends' successes cause I got none this month.

I knew I wasn't going to make it. It's not that I'm pessimistic, just realistic. But I thought I'd get a little further. Oh well. Another year. :)

You did spectacular!!!