Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Remember that one time my post went viral...

It was a year ago and I shared this post on twitter and @NaNoWriMo retweeted me to their bajillion followers and I was instantly super famous...or at least as close as I'll ever get to going viral, haha. ;) To this day it is by far my most popular blogpost read by thousands of people and still one of my favs.

So while I'm not participating in Nano this year (I just drafted a 100K word book in two months and I'm taking a break), I'm a big believer in the magic of Nanowrimo and thought I'd share that poem again as a way to say "Go go go!" to all of you doing the crazy Nano dance this month.



10 Things I Hate About NaNoWriMo

I hate the way you're hard to spell and even worse to say.
I hate it when your site goes down in the middle of the day.
I hate the month you choose to live.
I hate your taunting graph.
I hate how all my buddies read my word count with a laugh.
I hate how much my hands hurt and my eyes and rear end too.
I hate that all my words are crap.
I hate staying up 'til two.
I hate it when you're over and my life's no longer stalled.
But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you, not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all.



Hang in there all. You can do it! Butt in chair. ;) I believe in you!


How many of you are doing Nano this year? Tell me how it's going!


11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Isn't it funny what goes viral?
No NaNo this year although I have done it in the past. And after that many words, you do need a break!

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Love that! So far, so good with my NaNo ms - fingers crossed. Enjoy your break! :)

Chrys Fey said...

Cute poem! I've never done NaNo, but I can still appreciate all of that as a writer. :)

Donna K. Weaver said...

I must have missed this last year. Love it! It's so true.

And I'm hoping to see you Friday at B&N. I want my copy!

jaybird said...

No NaNo for me. Maybe next year. Best of luck with hitting your word count. Try to make a point of getting up every thirty to forty minutes and stretching- it helps with the sore butt, LOL. Sometimes, if I really want to feel energized I will take a quick walk around my yard. Just getting a breath of fresh air and a change of scenery for a minute, truly helps.

Emily R. King said...

Doing NaNoReveMo. Seems to be a better fit with me with the holidays on the horizon.

Can't wait for Tuesday!!!

Krista McLaughlin said...

You've definitely earned a break! :)

I finished NaNo on day 20, so that's early for me! But I'm gonna leave it alone for quite a while before editing.

I love that first gif. It's inspiring to remember we shouldn't let others tell us we don't deserve what we dream, because we do. :)

Kathryn Purdie said...

It's WONDERFUL not doing NaNo this year! The last three in a row were plenty. But you know I'd be all over it if I also hadn't just finished writing a book. NaNo's gotta a special place in my heart, too. Love your throwback to your viral post! Such a great one.

Kristin Smith said...

So cool that this post went viral last year! I'm not doing NaNo this year, I'm blazin' the query trail instead. Maybe next year...

Tammy Theriault said...

I DO remember :) Such a highlight for you, too.

David P. King said...

You never know what's going to go viral, but man, that was a sweet ride when you put this out. :)