I'm thrilled to have Carrie Butler, author of Courage (Mark of Nexus #2) on the blog today talking about writing a series. Take it away, Carrie...
Thanks for having me over, Ilima! To start a series, I believe a writer must possess at least five things:
5. A big idea. Come on, that one was a given...
4. The desire to do that idea justice. Just because you’ve released a book or two doesn’t mean you can finish the series on auto-pilot. Continue to study your craft, read other series, and take note of readers’ reactions. Make the last book better than the first!
3. A way to keep track of details—whether that be Scrivener, a notebook, or a crinkled up cocktail napkin. When you’re knee-deep in Book 2, wondering about the position of someone’s facial scar, you’ll thank me.
2. Great CPs, betas, and editors. Hopefully, they’ve been with you since Book 1. These talented individuals are likely to spot things you miss, like the fact that you did a time-skip and it’s now December in Pennsylvania. The crickets are dead! Nix them in chapter seven...
1. A loose grip on your sanity. In fact, just forego the sanity. (What? You’re a writer—it’s bound to leave sooner or later.) A series is a huge undertaking with built-in pressure. The work is hard, the pay is lousy, and it’ll make you feel incredibly vulnerable. So, why should you bother?
Because you love your story. You love the world you’ve created and the characters that inhabit it. Your ideas are too complex to cram into one novel, and you refuse to leave things undone. So, go for it. Take the risk. We’re all waiting to read your series, and I know it’ll be fantastic!
No pressure. ;)
Thanks for stopping by, Carrie! Click on the link to find out more about the Courage blog tour. And here's a little bit about the book:
Rena Collins never thought she’d long for the past—back when affection from Wallace, her freakishly strong boyfriend, was the most dangerous aspect of her life. But now that the human-altering organization known as ERA has gone on the offensive, nothing is safe. Her bloodline is exposed, her relationships torn apart, and just when it seems like things can’t get any worse, ERA ups the ante. To save mankind from forced evolution, Rena will have to mend her broken ties and form a resistance... hand-in-hand with the one she hurt most.
Find COURAGE on Goodreads.
You can find Carrie here: