Monday, January 30, 2017

Happy Birthday to me: my new writing space!

For my 40th birthday (last month), my husband wanted to give me my dream office space. As in no holds barred, dream up what I want, and we're going to make this happen. I'm thrilled to say we're DONE with the renovation and I couldn't be more excited. This is what my office looked like before. Painting over red walls was not easy, but I love the brighter space.

I REALLY wanted a page from one of my books on the wall, so using an overhead projector and a lot of sharpies, we made this happen. It took a LONG time, but it was so so worth it. The text is the prologue to Remake, and I can look at it as I sit from my writing desk. I love that it's a call to arms, a plea to get to work without excuses and do what you're meant to do...the perfect motivation for writing.


We bought and put together these shelves from Target. I had to purge my book collection a bit. We have a library in the house, but these are mostly friends' and YA books which I like to keep close. I also like that I can tuck away things I don't want to see behind cabinet doors.


Lim is my nickname, what my family calls me, and my husband came up with my motto: loved, inspired, and motivated, using each of those letters. He says that's exactly what he wants me to feel when I enter my writing space: loved, inspired, and motivated. I love that so much! So I ordered the wooden word cutouts on Etsy and glued them onto these giant letters that were on clearance at Hobby Lobby. Score!

Here's a close-up of my middle shelf which shows off my books. Some of them are traditionally published, and several are books I've shelved (my early writing) which will never be published. But I love glancing at them and celebrating all that I've accomplished as a writer and how far I've come.


This wood panel wall is AMAZING. It's reclaimed weathered wood we purchased from Stikwood. My father and husband spent an entire Saturday cutting and installing the wood, and it's a perfect accent wall that adds so much character to the space. My favorite part is the DAN + LIM heart my husband carved into the wood with his knife. I love it so much!


Here's my wall of inspiration. It's a collage of boards and displays filled with writing goals and plans I can work from as I write. There's a calendar with my writing goals for the month, character pics from the book I'm currently writing, book outline, inspirational quotes, etc. The small details like fan-made Remake art, a wreath made out of pages from Harry Potter, an arrow my daughter made herself, and a small display of awards my books have earned make it a happy and personal space for me.



I love my new clock along with the octopus my parents gave me (referencing Remake) and Firefly quote. Also a close-up of my plotting board and an inspirational quote from J.K. Rowling that I love.


Scenes from my latest book and a close-up of my new chair. I kept the same desk I had before because I love the size and the pages of Pride and Prejudice I decoupaged on the surface. I can read about Mr. Darcy all day if I want. :)


This is where I like to snuggle up and read. Heaven.


I know I'm seriously blessed to be able to have everything I ever wanted in a writing space. Here's to hopefully many books being written in this room.

If you could have your dream writing space, what would it look like?

I'm waking up.


14 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It looks amazing. You really took your time to do it right.
I don't think I'd want a page of mine on the wall. Every time I looked at it, I'd see something I wanted to change.
Happy birthday!

Robin said...

I love this space times 1 million. What a wonderful present from your hubby!

Tammy Theriault said...

Amazing new feel!

Sheena-kay Graham said...

That is an amazing writing space you have there Ilima. Congrats!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Wow. I <3 your space!

Style Baby said...

Really awesome place ever seen . The utilization of space is very nice.

Sameera
Trendy Mobile Cases and Covers Designer.

Tracie said...

When will the third book in the remake series come out? My niece loves them so much she read them both in 2 days �� I can't find any info on a release date to tell her.

Choo Say said...

Amazing! I really love visiting in this blog. Thanks for sharing.
บาคาร่าออนไลน์
บาคาร่า
gclub จีคลับ

Theresa williams said...

Hello, I am Theresa Williams After being in relationship with Anderson for years, he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to my friend and she suggested that I should rather contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that never believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I mailed the spell caster, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4 pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem. email: drogunduspellcaster@gmail.com you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or any other Case.

1) Love Spells
2) Lost Love Spells
3) Divorce Spells
4) Marriage Spells
5) Binding Spell.
6) Breakup Spells
7) Banish a past Lover
8.) You want to be promoted in your office/ Lottery spell
9) want to satisfy your lover
Contact this great man if you are having any problem for a lasting solution
through drogunduspellcaster@gmail.com

faith sandra said...


Today has being the most happiest day of my life after 1 year of sadness and sorrow without being with the one i love, i tried all my possible best to make sure i make my lover happy but it never seems to work out well it was like am doing everything in vain but all thanks to Dr.Ogumen for coming to change all my worries and sadness to Joy. I knew the great man when i read some wonderful reviews about Him how he has helped a lots of people on there relationship problem i was reading a magazine which then i saw great testimonies as well which then i decided not to waste time. He told me not to worry that he assures me that within 3day everything would be sorted out i believed Dr.Ogumen so much because i believe he can't fail me and i sent him all my details. Truly Dr.Ogumen never failed me,my husband who left me for good a year come back to me. My husband and i have been living contentedly since this spell caster reunited us together with his love spells. Thank you so so so much Dr.Ogumen for your powerful spells. Expressions are not sufficient to say thank you, here is his email address(ogumensolutioncenter@gmail.com).

Albert Cynthia said...

Well what happened to me is I was dating a guy for almost two years. Then I found out his ex girlfriend moved back to our town and started talking to him. She was a really bad influence on him and was ruining such a good relationship that we had. I didn't know what to do and I had tried a few spells in the past from psychics, but none worked to bring him back. When I finally help from Dr. Grea or you contact him(http://reunifyexlove.webs.com) the other girl got out of the picture and he cam week. There are definitely some powerful forces out there that can be a true blessing! Thanks goes to you ReUnify Ex Love Temple.Cynthia Albert

Helen Greeve said...

WHAT A WONDERFUL LOVE SPELL, MY HUSBAND AND I ARE BACK TOGETHER AGAIN AFTER 2 YEARS OF SEPARATION AND DIVORCE, AM TRULY BLESSED BY DR.ZULU SPELL TEMPLE, ALL THANKS TO HIM, YOU CAN CONTACT HIM NO VIA EMAIL::::ZULUSPELLTEMPLE@YAHOO.COM::::WHATSAPP NUMBER:::+2347067468416:

I'm Helen Greeve, from NY, USA. I got separated from my husband 2 years ago. There was no communication between us. I was advised by families and friends to let go, forget the marriage and move on with my life. I didn’t want to marry someone else because deep down, I still love my husband. I was in so much pain and confused, until I read a testimony online on how Dr Zulu reunion a broken marriage with the help of his spiritual spell power. I kept reading so many testimonies on how he helped to stopped divorce and brought back peoples ex-lover's back to them, and my faith was renewed. I have to contact DR ZULU(Zuluspelltemple@yahoo.com) immediately, few minutes later, he replied and instructed me on what to do, after meeting up with the necessary requirement, he sent me a parcel and instructed on how to use it, which I did. Few days later, communication was restored between me and my husband. I saw him after two weeks and we were able to settle our differences, he actually knelt down and was begging me to forgive him. His right here beside me as I type this testimony. I was visiting so many website seeking for help, it looked hopeless, until I came in contact with DR ZULU, who helped me to restore my joy, in fact, I'm the luckiest and happiest woman ever to have her husband back in her life. If you're having similar problem in your marriage, you want your husband or wife to love you again, you have someone you love and you want him or her to love you in return, you are having any challenge in your marriage. DR ZULU SPELL TEMPLE is the solution to your problem, contact him today via email: Zuluspelltemple@yahoo.com or call him +2347067468416



Valeria. Santiago said...

In our simple life, love plays a very specific role. Now we are able to make your love life healthy and no space for any type of trouble. These all are possible with the help of EKPEN TEMPLE OF SOLUTION. He helped me cast a spell that brought my long lost lover back within 48hours who left me for another woman. You can also contact him on EKPENTEMPLE@GMAIL.COM or add him on WHATSAPP +2347050270218 and be happy forever like am now with his experience.

Janet Gary said...

Grateful to tremendous and the most powerful spell caster that brought back my husband that we both were living very happily together. we have been married for 2years without any trouble not until one mysterious lady took him away from me. i was shocked when my husband lied to me on several occasions.that he is not coming home claiming there was a lot of work to be done at the office.when i found out i couldn't asked him to his face because i knew he wouldn't tell me the truth.so i search for help on the internet and i found Dr BAWADA how he has restored broken home. after contacting him on his email he assure me that in 24hours my husband will come back to me. after he has cast the love spell for me.my husband came back pleading never to leave me again. thanks to Dr BAWADA contact his email:drbawadasolutionhome@gmail.com or call his contact: +254741086480 or you can visit his website: http://drbawadasolutionho.wixsite.com/drbawada