Monday, November 19, 2012

U Got The Look

I've been tagged by Nick Wilford in the "U Got The Look" meme. Thanks, Nick!

All I have to do is go to my current WIP, hunt down the word "look", and post the surrounding paragraphs. So today, you all get a taste of my Nanowrimo project. BTW, I won Nano this past weekend. Thank you, thank you. I'm still plugging along to get the whole thing done this month, though. *fingers crossed*


Here you go:

We had a pact, remember? No apologizing for something you didn’t do wrong.”
“I remember.” He loosens his tie and pulls it over his head, tossing it to an otherwise spotless floor. If it weren’t for their maid, I’m sure Liam’s room would be a disaster. He undoes a couple of buttons on his white shirt, which sends my heart racing, and rolls up his sleeves to his elbows. “No more talk of my parents.”
He picks me up, sitting me on the edge of his bed. It’s a four-poster, and his mattress is so high, my feet dangle off the side, his face level with mine. “I was thinking…my bed’s looking a little cold. Maybe we could try warming it up.” His hands take hold of my waist, and he waggles his eyebrows like a cartoon villain about to endanger my virtue.
“Tempting,” I say, “but I was thinking more along the lines of, oh, I don’t know, warming up those brain cells of yours and studying for your next math exam.”
“Are you serious?”
“Yes, I’m serious. My grade is on the line here too, and I’m not going to blow it giving in to some teen boy’s fantasy of getting me in his bed.”
“What if—”
I hold my hand up to stop him. “Math. Studying. Now.”

And now I randomly tag:

Nicole
Tyrean
Livia
Julie
Suzi

This one's dedicated to all the blue bouncy balls in the world...they have all the fun.

25 comments:

David P. King said...

Congrats on winning NaNo! Now you get to enjoy the rest of the month or put the finishing touches on that MS. I see you favor first present. It's starting to grow on me. :)

Robin said...

Hello NaNo Winner! And nice snippet. Math vs. 4 poster bed. It wouldn't be easy. Ever since A Time to Kill, guys in a white button down shirt with those top buttons undone and sleeves rolled up...oh my

Also, I want his maid-but any maid would do, esp. this month-and esp. if they cook too:)

Jenny S. Morris said...

Oh, congrats on winning Nano!! And I love the snippet. He sounds sexy. ;) And I love Passionate Pit.

Julie Daines said...

Yay for finishing NaNo! Now you can enjoy the Thanksgiving break. I loved your excerpt!

And thanks for the tag!! I'll get that up on my blog ASAP! You're awesome.

ilima said...

David-I've tried almost every other POV/tense and once I landed on first present, we just clicked. This is my 2nd novel with it and I love it.

Robin-Three cheers for Matthew Mcconaughey! And Liam has a cook, too. :)

Jenny-Thanks! I love Passion Pit, too. They're coming to Utah and I'm so excited about it.

Julie-Yay. I can't wait to read what you post!

Crystal Collier said...

I love a girl who can stick to her guns. =) Congrats, and best of luck with the rest of Nano!

Tonja Drecker said...

You are fast! Congrats on NaNo! I enjoyed reading this little glance. Sounds like a fun story!

Suzi said...

I am impressed. Congratulations! I'm not doing that good, but I'm about 33,000 words. So i'm happy.

Thanks for the tag!

ilima said...

Crystal-Thank you!

T. Drecker-Fast and messy, that's me. :)

Suzi-You're ahead of the game. Way to go, you're doing great!

Emily said...

You are awesome! Way to go for winning. And come on Beth! Make out or Math and she chooses math?

Make out. Make out. Make out.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Congrats on winning Nano early!!! Thats awesome!!! I like the excerpt - it's really good! :-)
And thanks for the tag!

Carrie Butler said...

Hah! I love it. :) And congrats on NaNo!

Nicole said...

Thanks for the tag! This sounds like a fun one - I enjoyed your exerpt for sure. Congrats on NaNo!

Emily R. King said...

My kinda girl! Work now, play later. ;)

Congrats on winning NaNo!

Kathryn Purdie said...

You are my hero. I can't believe how quickly you finished NaNo this year. You're on fire and NO ONE can touch you!

ilima said...

Emily-You are a bad influence on me. :P

Tyrean-Thanks and you're welcome!

Carrie-Glad you liked it. Thanks!

Nicole-No problem. Thanks so much.

Emily-She tries to be a good girl. :)

Katie-Just call me Katniss. hehe.:)

Laura Clipson said...

Congrats on winning Nano! I like your extract, seems like you have some interesting characters there! :)

Jennie Bennett said...

Congrats on winning NaNo! That excerpt was lovely, sexy and quirky and just... perfect! Love, love, love!

Livia Peterson said...

Awww, ilima! Thanks for passing the meme onto me! I was speechless...

Love your excerpt! :)

ilima said...

Laura-Thanks. I LOVE my characters. They make the story worth telling.

J.A.-Sexy and quirky...haha. That's the best compliment. :)

Livia-You're so welcome. Thank you!

Alice said...

Well done on winning Nano!

Nick Wilford said...

Congrats on winning! Awesome job. And great conflict in the excerpt. :)

jaybird said...

Bow chicka wow wow! What an excerpt! Can't wait to read the rest. Congrats on winning NaNo.
You are so awesome!

ilima said...

Alice-Yay! Thanks.

Nick-Thanks for the tag. It's a fun meme.

Jaybird-I wish I could say it's as heated as your post today, haha. Thanks!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Hehe, fun! I like the waggling eyebrows. :)