Join me in pretending this post is NOT a result of having no idea what to write about for the letter U and wanting to share some really beautiful pictures. Shall we?
I've admitted several times to friends and family in this writing journey that I wish I never started. If I hadn't picked up that pen two-and-a-half years ago to write the great American novel as a new year's resolution, I wouldn't have discovered how addicting writing can be, the sheer joy of creating something out of my imagination, the thrill of having others read my work and like it, and the amazing writing community that I come in contact with on a daily basis. In other words, my life would be so much simpler.
I can't go back, though. And now I'm an obsessed crazy writer trying to break into publishing. If I knew, back then, what this road would be like, would I have started? Honestly, I don't know. But since I'm in the thick of it now, let's think about how roads relate to this crazy writing journey:
1) The road that heads straight uphill. It's gonna be hard. It's gonna make me sweat. But oh, imagine that view at the top.
2) The paths of many, but equally promising options. Do I write MG, YA, adult, picture book? Fantasy, contemporary, memoir? I might need to walk down a few before finding the right one.
4) I can see the end, that bright and shiny book deal (preferable six-figures, of course). Why are there so many twists and bends on the way? I can almost touch it...
5) Who the crap was in charge of paving this road? Isn't there a simple formula for getting there, not a riotous ride that will leave bumps and bruises in its wake?
6) So inviting. One shot. Piece of cake. A long tunnel, yes. But pleasant every step of the way. Hmm.
7) Why does it feel like I'm the only to have come this way in a long, long time? Does this path even lead anywhere?
8) Walking the road well-trodden and sure. It worked for them, why not me? haha :)
8) I'm gonna get there if I have to dig my own path to do it.
9) Um. Are you sure this is the way I'm supposed to go?
10) Just keep writing. Just keep writing. Just keep writing.
11) If this is what your path looks like, I hate you.
12) I can do anything. I can be anything. The possibilities are endless. Look out, world.
13) Keep chugging along. BUT, don't forget to enjoy the journey!
What does your writing road look like at the moment? Do you wish you could go back?