Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Learning To Share

Join the IWSG
With my debut novel coming out next month (eep!) I have a lot to feel insecure about right now. A LOT. But I want to offer a little encouragement to other writers out there who are struggling, especially those who are in the process of pursuing publication.

We often talk about remembering why we write. Maybe it's because we love it, it makes us happy, it's a way to cope, it's purely a creative outlet, it connects us to our inner selves. Whatever the reason, writing is hard, and remembering why we do it when it becomes a struggle can help us get through those tough times.

I think it's just as important to remember why we publish. Because we love it? Because it makes us happy? A way to cope? Um...not quite the same, is it?

While I feel like writing is all about ME and what I want, publishing is all about US. My favorite scene may end up on the cutting room floor, or my favorite character might have to be re-imagined into someone slightly different to suit the story better. I may need to delete or add, edit and rewrite. And rewrite again.

But that's okay.

Because this publishing thing is a shared endeavor, with agents and editors and readers all having a hand in the final product. And that's really exciting when you think about it. When times get tough, that's what I need to remember...I'm publishing because I want to share my story.

I want others to read it and enjoy it, but I also want them to cry and laugh and love the same way I have--and in ways I haven't. I want them to see themselves in my characters and find a similar kind of hope and courage. To have the story touch them in a meaningful way.

Why do you publish (or hope to publish) your writing?

A few REMAKE "publishing" updates:

  • You can now preorder it for your Kindle or Nook in addition to a beautiful hardcover edition. 
  • Speaking of beautiful hardcovers...my publisher sent me copies. Aren't they gorgeous? >>>
  • You can also read a nice chunk of the first chapter on Goodreads. Just click on the "open preview" tab beneath the book cover. 
  • REMAKE is on NetGalley.
  • I received my first official trade review from Publishers Weekly. While not terrible (phew), it is a bit spoilery. (Fair warning)
  • I was spotlighted as part of Utah Book Month.
  • Oh, and I'm having a launch party on October 17th at The King's English Bookshop. If you're in Utah, I'd LOVE to see you there! 
  • And if you're not in Utah, you can still get a personalized signed copy by ordering it at this link and letting them know.


Lay your hand in mine...


15 comments:

Suzanne Furness said...

I can understand how scary and exciting the publishing process is. I hadn't really thought about the shared aspect of it, but I can see that, while the actually writing is usually a lonely mission, the next step involves lots or people and their, possibly, varying opinions. I wish you every success next month with the release.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Beautiful cover!

I want to publish/be published because I know how wonderful it feels to read a good book or an amazing story, and I want to, hope to, give that feeling to my readers as well. :)

Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

Donna K. Weaver said...

Great post. Thanks for the reminder. I'm so excited for you in this. Do you know if Remake will be an audiobook?

jaybird said...

So stoked for you Ilima!! I can't wait to read Remake. And I wish I lived closer, so I could be at the author signing (and part of your circle of friends who come to support you in "real" life)

David P. King said...

I'm sharing some of your feelings right now, Ilima, only they might become more intense when 2015 starts. I for one am going to break the bank for your book. Thank you for sharing. :)

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Ilima I am happy for you. Writing a novel is a journey and publishing is no different except you get to work with experienced people/strangers who will become known to you and maybe even friends. Congrats and can't wait for the release. IWSG Co-Host

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad your review from Publishers Weekly wasn't terrible. (They are a bit tough, aren't they?)
Now you understand how many people it takes to make a book!

Kathryn Purdie said...

I love this idea that writing is personal, but publishing is about sharing. It makes this crazy publishing journey make a little more sense. As always, your attitude and insights amaze me. Can't wait for REMAKE to officially great the world in October!

Tess said...

so true and well said....things shift a bit when the publishing aspect comes in but it's all part of the ride - :D

Excited for your launch!!

Jessie Humphries said...

That's a great post! I forget why I do this all the time. Congrats on all the excitement.

Rosalyn said...

I'm so excited for you and your book! I can't speak to why we publish (so not there yet), but I like the idea of it being focused on a community. I tell my students often that we write a first draft for us (to figure out what we're thinking), but that revisions are all about audience.

Cortney Pearson said...

Wow, this has been on my mind so much lately! (Couldn't have anything to do with Phobic or anything, ha ha). Writing and publishing are two totally different things! I'm stoked for your links and all the goodies you shared--I can't WAIT to read your book!!! <3

Kristin Smith said...

Wow, Ilima, so exciting! And what a great post! For the past year I've been so driven to become published that I haven't taken the time to think about WHY it is that I want to be published. I guess it's because I want others to read my words, to love the characters as much as I do, and be as excited about their lives as I am.

The cover of Remake looks awesome! Can't wait to read it!

Nicole said...

So excited for you! Thanks for the reminder to keep perspective on everything too, and remember why we choose to write and publish.

Stephanie Faris said...

Does marketing ever get easier? I think many authors eventually just...stop and settle into it? That's what I've noticed. The opportunities come to you once you have a few books out and have built a readership. I want to get to that point!!! Maybe if we remember it's harder in the beginning and then it's just showing up and showing appreciation (rather than pounding the pavement!) it'll be easier?