Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I HAVE AN AGENT!!!

I know I said I wouldn't be posting for a couple of weeks but I can't hold in my good news any longer. I've signed with literary agent Jennifer Skutelsky of Veritas Literary. Yay! I am so excited.



I made a new year's resolution in January of 2010 to write a novel. I finished it 6 months later. It was just for fun, something I could share with family and friends. But once finished, I was hooked, and knew I could never stop writing. I started another book and began researching how to get published.

In June 2011, I attended my first writers conference and learned I had no idea what I was doing. I joined a critique group, read and studied writing craft books, stalked the blogosphere for everything writing related, attended more conferences, and most importantly--kept on writing.

I finished that second book, then wrote my third as part of NaNoWriMo 2011. I revised and queried my first book at the start of this year with a modest amount of requests but no offers.

I had planned to revise my other two novels at that point, but for a few months another story had been rattling in my head and I couldn't keep it in any longer. So I started drafting REMAKE in March and finished it in less than four weeks. It involved many late nights until three in the morning because I couldn't sleep. I cried and laughed with my characters like never before. This book was the one, I just knew it.

I started querying REMAKE in May. At the end of May, Literary Rambles did a spotlight on Veritas Literary, and based on the information about the agency and what they were looking for, I decided to query them. A month later, Jennifer Skutelsky asked to see my full manuscript. A month after that, she emailed me with an offer of representation!

I was able to talk to Jennifer and Katherine Boyle (founder of the agency) during a conference call. They were so enthusiastic about REMAKE, I felt they loved it as much as I did. I was thrilled about their plans for revisions and submission, but more than anything, it just felt so right. So, after a week of talking with other agents who had my manuscript and another official offer, I decided to sign with Veritas with absolutely no reservations. Yipee!

A big thanks to my husband, family, CP's, friends, Veritas Literary, and all of you blog readers for being so supportive. You rock!

Also, I want to wish my husband, child #2, and Harry Potter a very happy birthday today!

50 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

YAY! Congratulations!

JennaQuentin said...

Felicitations!

DRC said...

COngratulations!!! That's fab news :)

F said...

I'm so happy for you, Ilima! A million congratulations, and well done!

Tracey Joseph said...

Congratulations! That is awesome.

Clare said...

Congratulations. :D

Suzi said...

Congratulations! What wonderful news!

Kelley Lynn said...

AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!! Seriously, girl. You desire this SO much. I've read some of your work which I SO love. And this concept is just phenomenal. I can't wait till the publishers fight over it.

Squee!!!

David P. King said...

That's like 5 pick ups in the last week! Awesome! Congratulations, Ilima! You deserve it! :)

Tobi Summers said...

WAHOO!! Congratulations!!!

And Happy Birthday to your many July 31 birthday-celebrators!

Ann Dee said...

So excited, Ilima! Best news ever.

Peggy Eddleman said...

Congratulations!! That's so exciting!!

Unknown said...

This is awesome news!!! Congrats. :)))

Amanda Olivieri said...

Oh my gosh, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Weeeee!! *throws confetti!* So excited for you!! :D :D

Jordan McCollum said...

Ho'omaika'i! Congratulations!

Jordan McCollum said...

Ho'omaika'i! Congratulations!

Ruth Josse said...

Congrats!!! What happy, awesome news! :D

Angela Cothran said...

So exciting!!! There is something going around this summer...I know what it is... HARD WORK! Congrats :)

Kathryn Purdie said...

Ilima, I'm still smiling ear-to-ear about this news! I am so freaking happy for you!!! A big huge congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

Woo-hoo! Congrats!

Emily R. King said...

Ha, I knew it! I could SMELL representation on you. :) CONGRATS!

Sara B. Larson said...

That's awesome news, congratulations!!! :)

Rebecca Barrow said...

Yay! That's so awesome, go you!!!

Robin said...

Yay Ilima!

Jenny S. Morris said...

WOOHOO!!!!! I'm so excited for you. I knew when I read this concept it was going to get snatched up by an agent. SO COOl. Congrats!!!

Victoria Smith said...

Yeah!!!so awesome girl :)

Emily said...

Oh my gosh, Ilima. I'm soooo excited! However, I am not surprised at all. I knew you would get an awesome agent who believes in you and LOVES your ms...and you totally did! And she must be pretty cool cause she lives in the Bay Area. Pretty much everyone who's cool lives in the Bay Area. Just saying.

Congratu-freaking-lations!!

Jenilyn Collings said...

Congratulations!!!

And today is a popular birthday! Not only is it my child #2's birthday, but I had a nephew born this morning. :)

Carol Kilgore said...

Huge congratulations! You're on the way :)

Melanie said...

Congratulations, Ilima! You totally deserve it!

Carrie Butler said...

Congratulations, Ilima!! *Hugs* That's fantastic!

E.D. said...

Congratulations! That is wonderful!

Krista McLaughlin said...

Congratulations! That is super duper exciting! :D

Michelle D. Argyle said...

SQUEE!!! I knew it would happen soon! Congrats!

Unknown said...

Hi, Ilima. I hope you're okay with this, but I mentioned you in my August IWSG post today. I really think hearing stories such as yours will give the other members hope and promise. Congrats again! :)))

Cassie Mae said...

Yeah baby!!!! So so so excited for you!!! And I can't wait to read this one. I saw your twitter pitch for it like, forever ago and I loved it!

Congratulations! Cyber chest bump!

Martin Willoughby said...

Party time! Congratulations.

Deana said...

Totally doing the celebratory dancer foyer you girl!!!! You know how much I love Remake...well, what you let me read of it that is:-) Now I know I'll get to read it all one day! Yipee! Congrats congrats congrats!!!!!

Deana said...

Totally doing the celebratory dancer foyer you girl!!!! You know how much I love Remake...well, what you let me read of it that is:-) Now I know I'll get to read it all one day! Yipee! Congrats congrats congrats!!!!!

jaybird said...

This post just made my day! I am so happy for you Ilima. From what you've shared about Remake it is going to be epic. I am so excited for you!

Sending big hugs and Congratulations your way! Way to go!!

PK HREZO said...

Big congrats to you!!!! :)

Unknown said...

This is great news! Congratulations!

Unknown said...

This is great news! Congratulations!

Brandon Ax said...

That is great congratulations.

Janet Smart said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you.

Patsy said...

Congratulations from me too!

Ella said...

Nice to meet you! Congrats...wow, how amazing...

Cortney Pearson said...

WOOOOOOT!!! What great news! I'm a little late to the party, but a huge congrats, Ilima! :D

Anonymous said...

Many congratulations!

Elana Johnson said...

I know I'm really late to the party, but yay!!! CONGRATS! I can't wait to read the post that says you sold your book!